Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day Off at the Zoo

Today was kind of an unplanned day off the bike but a planned day off from work. When I got up Early this morning to go train I felt horrible and tried to get moving and it just wasn't happening so I decided to take the day as a rest day and get a little more sleep so I could enjoy the day with the family.


We went to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. The zoo is very nice and a treat that it is so close to home. The only problem was the place was packed. I mean its a Tuesday. Where did everyone come from. My patience was tested today waiting in line for everything. I handled it ok. I'm still not the best in situations with large groups of people. Especially people that doddle around and won't get out of the way for the people who know where they want to go. Ok sorry I'll try to keep on subject and not rant.


As we were making our way through the zoo I couldn't wait to get to the aquarium. If you read this blog often you probably know that I'm a seafood chef and with that passion for seafood comes a love of the ocean (from the guy living in the middle of the country). i couldn't wait to check out what I believe to be the most beautiful creatures, the sharks. I could probably have sat and watched them swim for hours. I find them to be the perfect machine in the water. Graceful and peaceful and then in the blink of an eye on the attack and fast, strong and deadly. And most often misunderstood. I tried to take some pictures but I can't turn the flash off on my camera and they didn't come out very well.


It was a great way to spend a day off and the kids had a blast. If your ever in southeast NE it's definitely a place to stop and see.


Tomorrow is a planned double up day of Singletrack. I'm going to head out early and get some fast miles in through wilderness park in town and then in the afternoon I'm going to head out to Branched Oak lake with Twin Six teammate Millhouse and Hopefully Ryan will be joining us. Anyone else interested let me know.


Here's some pics from the day:


The kids riding on a lizard.
The Sharks. Beautiful

The kids and I chillin by the globe fountain.
I caught my wife and the kids taking a break.
Do I have a problem that when I see a different kind of Duck breed I wonder how it tastes?

Harp




3 comments:

Ryan said...

Looks like a good time.

It looks like I won't get out of work till 5 tonight. Will have to try hooking up some other time. What's the rest of your week look like? I thought about an early ride on Friday but I'll have to make sure that will work out first.

Harp said...

I can probably do early morning.

Judi said...

Cute pix, but in the pic of you with the kids, it looks like you are so thru and ready to get the eff outta there, lol. I hate crowds too, esp slow moving crowds.