Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Some Time Off the Bike

Just typing the title hurts. I'm going to have to take some time off from training and the bike for the next few weeks. It's going to be rough. I have some other "training" to do.On Oct. 18th I have to take a Chef Certification Exam. I'm taking the exam for Certified Executive Chef. It is a two part exam. The first being a practical or cooking exam and then later a written test. It has been a personal goal of mine for years to be a Certified Executive Chef. This level makes me very marketable for the consulting business that I do on the side. It also is very good for the college. I am the only one of the three chefs at the that is not a CEC. Of course I am 20+ years younger than the other chefs but it will be nice for our faculty to be all certified at this level.

So between now and the 18th I have got to focus on getting myself prepared for the exam. I will be practicing the dishes that I have to prepare for the proctors and making sure that I meet the criteria that is set for the exam and that my dishes are sound in technique and flavor.

I will probably not be posting on this site very much over the next couple of weeks. I do plan to use my other blog as a journal of sort to track my pogress and a way to remeber what I've been doing so that other people getting ready to take the exam can use it.

I hope to be able to ride once in while over the next couple of weeks. Probably mostly on the weekends or really the next couple of Sundays and maybe sneak out once in a while during the week. Is it me or does it sound like I'm taking 3 months off from traing not just 2 1/2 weeks. Like I said it's going to be rough.

I have had some things going on in the bike world lately. Next season I am going to be on a official race team through the bike shop. We will have another title sponsor but that is still being determined. We will be racing road races as a team where I will mainly serve as the domestique and help the other guys. I will continue to focus on Mountain Bike racing in both the XC and a little more on the Endurance end. After the exam is over I plan to get back to training in full force. I did have some good results late in the season but I plan to have bigger and better results for next season and that preparation needs to start soon for me.

That's it for now. See you later. Check my other blog Poissonier to see what's up with my exam if your interested.

Harp

3 comments:

Bluenoser said...

Priorities are important. Good luck with the exam.

-B

Ryan said...

Good luck man.

BB said...

All the best in getting ready for your exam. I hope you get to eat some of your dishes along the way to enjoy the effort.

Feel free to take 4 or 5 months off the bike so the rest of us can plan our strategy of "attack" for next XC season... ;-]