Monday, April 20, 2009

Le Tour de Husker Team Time Trial: Race Report

This is the first of my two races that I had yesterday. I've decided that I'm only going to do one race at a time.

The team time trial was the second of the 3 race series making up the Le Tour de Husker put on by UNL Cycling. It looked like it would be a good event for our team to do and a first for me in any kind of time trial let alone a team one.

When I got up on Sunday morning I was surprised how good I felt. My back was a little sore from the akward position of trying to push my bike through the sludge the day before. I was not excited to see that the temps were in the 40's. I was hoping for it to be a bit warmer but it was what it was. Luckily for me the race was being held in pioneers park which is only 3 minutes by bike from my house and one of my regular training grounds on my road bike.

We were supposed to meet up around 8:15 since they were going to start sending riders off at 9:30. So I got there right on time and filled out my release form and then waited for the rest of my team to show. After pedaling around alone for about 35 minutes I saw 2 of my teammates show up and none of us could figure out where Sean our team captain was but we were ok since we only needed 3 riders to start. Sean calls and a bit later and had a whole mess of things happen and he wasn't going to be able to be there by start time.

So we ended up lining up first and were off. We shot off down a huge downhill and I was afraid we were going to have problems cause we all split apart right away. This was the first time any of us had ridden together as a group and I wasn't sure how we were going to do but we got back together and started taking pulls and moving pretty good.

About 2/3rds the way through our first lap I'm taking a long pull and really trying to push the pace cause I was feeling great I hear one of our riders Rick yell something. I turned around and saw him way off the back. He was yelling go. For the teams of 4 which they had the time taken with the 4th rider. With teams of 3 (we were the only one) they had the time taken on the second rider. So we Shawn D. and I just kept on going. We went through on our second lap with Shawn taking a big pull and then I moved in and took us the rest of the way around.

We crossed the line and were pretty content with how we had done. I was feeling really good and worked well with my teammates. Later in the day I found out that we had finished 6th out of 7 teams. I think we were pretty close to the times of some of the other teams. Not bad for only having 2 guys finishing. Later.


No comments: