Monday, June 29, 2009

Busy Weekend and Slow Monday

This past weekend was pretty much taken up by my dad's 50th birthday. I did get a chance to get in some riding though. On Saturday morning I was up early to hit up the Saturday morning group I've been riding with. We had wind coming out of the south so we decided to go south first and then have the wind at our backs when we came back home. I'm not sure how hard the wind was blowing but it was pretty stiff but our time was going pretty fast as we rotated taking our pulls at the front. I was really struggling though. I was really feeling the effects of Friday's fast paced 50 miler and I was getting pretty tired pretty fast.

When we were about 35 miles from town I decided I needed to turn around and start heading back towards home since my folks and grandparents were coming up. I thought that it wouldn't be to bad since I would have the wind at my back. By this time though I was in really rough shape. I started heading towards home knowing I had 35 miles home to ride alone. Things weren't going to bad until I noticed that the skies were getting a bit dark and then the next thing I realized the wind had shifted from a tailwind to a headwind. I was about 30 miles from home with dead legs and struggling and know a stiff headwind. All I can say is that it was one of the longest 30 miles of riding I've had but I made it home and was happy with the 77 miles I ended up putting in for the day.

On Sunday my dad was taking full advantage of having a chef for a son and I was preparing all of the food for the card tournament he was hosting. So I had to get up early again to get some riding in. I had borrowed a mountain bike from a friend and wanted to get out to Branched Oak and get some riding in on the trails I'll be racing on in a few weeks for the Cornhusker state games. My legs were completely gone and I really missed having my bike. The shifting on this bike was completely different than mine and it just didn't feel right. I did two slow laps and decided to call it a day and get back home to start getting things ready for my Dad's party. The rest of the day was spent cooking, eating and relaxing.

Not much happened today. I had to take my old frame into the shop and get it ready to be shipped back to Marin. After that I just tried to rest more and get my legs ready for some heavy training this week. My new frame should get in either tomorrow or Wednesday so I'll be getting it built right away and I'm going to try to get it down to branched oak to keep getting myself prepped for the race. Can't wait to try it out. I have to help my dad tomorrow get some work done on his house and then I'll probably try to hit up the pcl tuesday night crits for a good ass kicking.


No comments: