Thursday, January 1, 2009

First Ride of 09

Decided to start 2009 off right. I headed out today with the plan to put in at least 50 miles. I managed to get 50 miles out of my legs but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

When I was leaving I wasn't sure where I was going to go. The only plan that I had was to ride into the wind first and then have it at my back for the ride home. As I was leaving I noticed the wind was blowing out of the north so north I went. I decided to take my summer Sunday route of out to Branched Oak around the lake and then back home. Usually this is right under 50 and then I take a few alternate routes home to hit the goal. The last time I had ridden this route was back in August. I had forgot how tough this route can be. You are usually either going up or down the whole time. Very few flat sections.

As I was getting out my legs were feeling a bit sluggish but I kept going thinking this would be like so many of my other rides where after I warm up a while I my legs would get some snap to them. That never really happened and as I was going right into the wind which felt like it was blowing a lot harder than the 5-10 mph my feet and hands started to get pretty cold. As the ride went on I started having thoughts of turning around and heading home. But I kept on going. When I got to the lake I said I was done and turned around and started to head home but then something in my head started telling me to keep going that I only had a few more miles and then I would be spending the rest of the ride either across or with the wind. So again I kept going.

I forgot that I had the biggest and longest hill still to go on my around the lake but I started to feel a bit better and made it through the climb and around the lake. I did stop along the way through the lake to take in a gel and eat a couple of pop tarts ( Reminder: get honey stinger order in. need more bars & chews). After I ate I felt a lot better and after being out of the direct wind for a while my feet didn't feel as cold.

The rest of the ride was spent just getting home and to keep moving. I made another stop at a gas station to get some more water and slammed a red bull to get me through the last ten miles home. When I got back to town I still had a few miles to go to make it to 50 and I thought about saying screw it and just go home but I again kept going until I got my 50. Glad I pushed myself to get the miles in. Even though it's contradicting a bit about what I've been reading in Freil's book but hey it makes me feel good. Except that I'm going to be sore tomorrow as I already feel it setting in as I type this.

This ride did make me start to think that I need to get my training straightened out. First race is going to come up quick and if I race like I was today I'm in big trouble.

Tomorrow will probably be a recovery spin and my last outside ride for a while. The temps are supposed to go back down so it will be back to the trainer. I'm just glad I got out while I could. Now I need to go try to finish up the rest of my race schedule for the season as I finally have all of the local race dates. Later.



Redbone said...

Great job on the 50.

Cycling Phun said...

I couldn't bring myself to do it today, I think it JUST hit twenty here with huge gusts. I usually wouldn't care, but the combination of cold and asthma is something I'm still not over. The cold brings it on quick. I worked out instead, which is something I've been kinda lax with lately, and it felt good. Hoping that tomorrow we don't get the freezing rain they're calling for, as the temps should get into the high thirties.

Highwaymunky said...

Happy New Year!!

millhouse said...

Where is the psycowpath schedule?

Anonymous said...