Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Riding and Resting

I took full advantage of the 3 day weekend I just had and was able to get some good time in the saddle. Most of it was spent on the Mountain Bike and some on the road. On Friday I went out for a easy spin with some hard efforts mixed in. I had thought about trying to really get after it but chose not to save it for the weekend. On Saturday I kind of broke the time on the bike up. I commuted to the shop and back and then went back out on the road bike for some solid training efforts. The original plan for that was to ride in pioneers park but after my first lap I bailed on the park due to all of the extra people and cars in it. I felt like I was going to get taken out on every turn the whole time I was in there.

On Sunday I was up for what is now starting to become my new Sunday routine and that was to head down to Branched Oak and ride the trails and work on climbing fast and then being able to continue to push after I crest the top. Lately in races I've noticed that I'm climbing fast but then slowing down after I get to the top to recover. I'm working on pushing through that so that I can keep pushing the pace and hopefully get away from other riders. I was able to spend about 2.5 hours on the trail and was able to get in 5 laps. I slowed a bit on the last couple of laps but on the first 3 I was able to have an average time of 25 mintues per roughly a 5 mile lap. I did go down once when I tried to take a turn a bit to sharp and took all of the fall on my shoulder at the time it didn't hurt at all but then yesterday and today it is pretty stiff and sore.

Yesterday I was up early again to head out to Platte River State park with Ryan and Millhouse for some time on the trails. I really love these trails. We didn't really put in to hard of efforts but the training was good just in the sense of working on getting better at riding on the more technical trails. If I can learn to ride these trails fast I should be able to ride any trails fast. We did some exploring of trails we haven't raced on and in the end it was a pretty good time.

Today is a rest day. I have felt pretty drained and a bit stiff and sore all day so it was an easy call to take it off and recover. I did get a sample today of some new products that I thought I would try. I've heard from several sources that the FRS energy products are good and work pretty well. I was able to get a free sample pack of several of the different products. It's always nice to try out some new race nutrition products.

I have a big weekend of racing coming up that I'll talk more about later now I got to go try to stay up long enough to watch deadliest warrior with my son. Later.

Harp

2 comments:

Cycling Phun said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend. I can't begin to know what it's like to race train, as my goal is not to race, just to be more healthful. I enjoy it, but not enough to obsess like I think I would need to to really push myself to race, and I think that's OK. You guys blow my mind! I don't know how you do it.
Also, congrats on the new sponsor! fi'zi:k, huh? Nice get Harp!
I'd still love to get you and I and Bluenoser and some bloggers together...
Keep on keeping, homie!

Ryan said...

Let me know how the FRS turns out. I always wanted to try some.